Because it’s fun to try new things for friends!
How I keep my crafts together.
When I was asked to make a baby quilt, I was flattered. When the deadline got moved up a month, I was worried. I am glad I went ahead and ordered the fabric and things I needed, because I could immediately get working!!!
I’m using a pretty simple pattern, which, I have a complaint about. The pattern blocks calls for 2 – 8 1/2″ squares, 2 – 5 1/2″ squares, 1 – 5 1/2 x 6″ rectangle, and 1 – 3 x 16 1/2″ rectangle. When I cut it out, I read quickly and thought I saw 6 1/2″, which is what I cut. I reread, saw it says 6, and trimmed down accordingly. It turns out that it should be 6 1/2″ because the row of smaller blocks are a quarter-inch too short on both sides. >:/
It’s alright, I have trimmed the blocks down accordingly, and everything is fine…it’s just annoying. I also feel like this is a challenge to actually finish a quilt that I have started. I’m proud to say I’ve been making leaps and bounds in finishing up this quilt. I may actually get the top finished today when I get home from work. If I were off tomorrow for Good Friday, I’d really make some headway!!!
Anyhow, here are some pictures of my progress so far! I hope you’ve all had a good week! Sorry I didn’t post last week, I was just in a little funk and needed a mental break.
I do have a question for the quilty minded people who read this; how would you quilt this? I thought about doing a X over all the blocks, I even started kind of outlining it in my head how it would work with one continuous run, but the more I think about it, that starts getting crazy. One wrong turn and it’d be all messed up. I’ve also thought about an all over stipple. What do you all think?
Until next time! Happy sewing!
This weekend I got a few things going. I started on a little stuffed animal for one of my friend’s babies (well, it’s the demo, come on, the first go at a pattern it’s going to be a little questionable!) which has been my first venture into applique. I’m also working on mastering the ever elusive ladder stitch to close up that little sucker! I also found a store not too far away from me that actually sells feet for my machine. I have a Brother XL 2610 (the cute little pink Brother) and all I have is what came with it. So after a trip to the store, I now have a darning foot and an open toe foot. I didn’t realize the standard foot was having trouble with the satin stitching passing underneath, but now I do, and voila! Problem solved! I plan on going back today after work and getting a 1/4″ seam foot….okay I don’t know if that’s what it’s called, but I’m pretty sure it is! I’m excited, because I feel like with the right tools I can do anything! (insert rainbow star stream overhead) Anyhow, I will be posting some pictures soon, once I play with my new feet.
Here is the link to the pattern I’m using for the little owl.
I’m just working on getting everything set up to really give my shop the boost it needs. I’ll be sharing my stories about each item I make and post pictures as well. I hope you enjoy!
This is a preview of what I’m working on right now. It’s a twin sized quilt that I decided to make in order to use up my “ugly” fat quarters. I got the pattern from byannie.com and I love these patterns.